Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Because you think I'm something I'm not...


------- It's been a while since I've written on this blog, but in light of the recent election, and because I hate long posts on Facebook I decided to just use this space to share some thoughts. 

Because one day my two kids will ask me if I stood by my beliefs in a world that didn't stand by me and I want to tell them that I did.  ------

I reserve my social media posts for photos of kids and ridiculously, delicious meals I eat. Rarely, if ever, do I post anything of serious nature and, instead, like to bring bits of levity to my feed. (I dressed up as an inflatable TRex for Halloween for goodness sake. Posts like that are my cup of tea.) Typically, I defer all controversial posts/comments to someone else I hold dear.

But, today, I can't keep quiet any longer.

Those of you that know me, either know definitively (or have assumed) that I lean conservatively in matters of faith and politics. My faith deeply drives my political choices and is the foundation to my core value system.

For the record, I don't like Trump. Never have, though I can't say I never will.

Something alarming has become illuminated by this election. I have seen my Facebook feed filled with hate, divisiveness, and vitriol throughout this election season and that overwhelming reaction doesn't come from my conservative friends, but from all of my liberal friends. In fact, I can only count 3 of my conservative friends who are outspoken on social media and their political posts are typically those of humorous nature.

Yet, I woke up this morning to post after post of anger and disappointment. Defining all conservatives as WHITE, EVANGELICAL, HATEFUL, BIGOTED, SEXIST, RACIST, INTOLERANT, FEAR-MONGERING individuals who HATE the immigrant & LGBTQ community and will be the downfall to this country.

It's time I made something clear to you. I am a CONSERVATIVE and I DO NOT fit that definition.

In an effort to keep the peace, I have many times stayed tight-lipped and brushed off unbelievably offensive and repulsive comments from friends and co-workers voicing their opinions that are starkly different than mine. Never have I forced my own conservative agenda on them - And I'm not going to start today either, but allow me to define for you who I am as a conservative.

I am a CHRISTIAN. I am a follower-of-Christ and his teachings to love God with all my heart, soul, strength, and mind and love my neighbor as myself. I am not, however, the liberal media-popularized definition of an "EVANGELICAL". What was once a word that described someone that lived their lives to follow God's two greatest commandments, has become a derogatory term aligned with a hateful, fear-mongering racist individual that supposedly acts this way on behalf of their faith in God. Those individuals that claim to be Christians, but act in this way are not the majority, but unfortunately their actions and words are seemingly the loudest. They do not represent me, what I believe in, or acts I condone. I am surrounded by Christian friends who feel and act the same.

I am an ASIAN-AMERICAN. I am the daughter of two immigrants that left their country to pursue greater opportunity in the land of the free and brave. They both came to this country legally, waited their time, and became naturalized citizens. My parents bleed the red, white, and blue just as much as any natural-born American... and they aren't white. They have cared for this country and its future since they placed their hope in it decades ago when they came here with little to nothing in their pockets but hope itself... and they will continue to do so. They pay their taxes, faithfully attend and serve their church, and do their best to love their family and community. They worked hard contributing to the American economy for the majority of their adult lives in order to provide a good life for me.

I try my best to be LOVING and PATIENT. Inevitably, you may have shared an experience with me in which I may not have been loving or patient - for that I apologize. I am not perfect by any means, nor have I ever claimed to be so. I have had and will continue to have my own fair share of mistakes in life, but because I am imperfect, I am deeply in need of a God that is perfect and continues to show me unconditional love and mercy. I hope that as a friend, co-worker, or neighbor I have expressed that to you. That through my absolute unworthiness & imperfection, God still loves us and brings us back into His arms.

I am INCLUSIVE and NOT a bigot, sexist, misogynist, or racist. I LOVE the LGBTQ and immigrant communities.

As a descendant of immigrants, I welcome those that pursue better opportunities for themselves and their families and proudly commend them.

As a woman, I whole-heartedly believe in the value & power women bring to our society and stand by to cheer them on.

As a person of color, I embrace a community of diversity and hope to raise my kids to not even recognize outward appearances but instead love someone for their character and integrity.

To my LGBTQ friends, I hope that you have felt nothing but love and respect from me. I care deeply for the LGBTQ community and have worked hard at expressing my love for you. I can't begin to understand your struggles, so I try my best to listen, care, and seek mercy for you.

I firmly believe, above everything, that regardless of color, race, background, gender, sexual-orientation, religious or political beliefs, God loves you. "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." John 3:17

As we embark upon this new journey with Donald Trump as president, I implore you to remember our country's preamble...

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Key word: WE. WE ARE the people. WE ARE AMERICA. Let's use this opportunity to embrace our differences and not be divided by them. Utilize our collective skills and strengths to build a stronger country and society for our kids and their future. Love one another and love each other well. Let's listen to each other and hold each other in the highest regards and to high standards. Let's value each others' opinions and not disregard them because they're not our own.

I hope to build a future world for my children where they do not live in fear, but instead, get excited in the thought that they can proudly voice their opinion (conservative or liberal) in a country that will not shame them for their differences, but embrace them. A country where my daughter knows she could be president, a CEO, or a stay-at-home mom and be praised for her efforts and hardwork, regardless. A country where my son respects women because he has watched his father, mother, and those around him emulate that respect to him and women around them. Help me build that dream for them.

We can argue point after point over the recklessness, disregard, and disrespect of political leaders, celebrities, and renowned public figures till we're blue in the face, but that doesn't excuse us as people to stop taking responsibility for our own actions and how those actions and mentalities shape our society.

This is not the end. We all want what is best for this country so before you post an over-generalizing, polarizing, or hateful sentiment-remember that I am your sister, neighbor, co-worker, and friend and your words can be hurtful and offensive. Every political season, one side will beat the other, but that does not afford us the right to to undercut and demoralize each other. Be respectful and loving and let's build a better country together. 

I end with this: my hope rests not on one person, thing, or even a single government, but nothing less than God's love & mercy and Christ's righteousness.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

3 comments:

  1. Love you girl! Amazing blog about a huge event-- you summed up what every and any Christian should be feeling regardless of who they voted for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this 🇺🇸❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well stated, I'm honored to call you friend and so very happy God put us on a path to share the joys and sorrows of life, together.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...